English Test and Dutch Visa for Admittance in a University in Delft

In the Netherlands there are several cities with universities. Delft is famous because of the Technical University. But besides this Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), there are two other universities in Delft. Namely Unesco-IHE (where you can study water management) and the Hague University. Here you can choose from different management studies in Delft.

Although there are three different universities in Delft, they have more or less the same application list. The motivation letter will be a little be more work than an cover letter or application letter.

English test for admission

To apply to a university you need to do an English test and to legalize your diploma.

There are four possibilities to proof your English language proficiency (certificates older than two years are not accepted):

  1.  TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of at least 90 (internet-based test). Please note that we only accept the TOEFL internet-based test. :
  2. IELTS (academic version) overall Band score of at least 6.5. :
  3. A proof that you have passed the University of Cambridge ‘Certificate of Proficiency in English’
  4. A proof that you have passed the University of Cambridge ‘Certificate in Advanced English’


Additional for Nationals of the People’s Republic of China only: A Nuffic certificate. In order to obtain the Nuffic certificate you will need to take the IELTS or TOEFL internet-based test.

The following nationals are exempt from this proof of English language USA, U.K., Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Canada

If you have an foreign diploma and you want to study in the Netherlands , you should contact the university at which you are going to study. They will arrange for your diploma to be evaluated. For Universities and higher education the organization Nuffic will do this.

Mostly, if diplomas are evaluated at the request of one of the regularly subsidized educational institutions, there is no charge. Next to Nuffic there is an other organization who are doing evaluations of foreign diplomas. This is Colon. Colon however is evaluating diplomas for middle classed education like “MBO”. Together they run the IDW.

Visa application in Holland

To come as a student to the Netherlands, you will probably needs a visa. To find out if you need a visa, please check IND wizard. This site is from the Netherlands foreign affairs. For every country of origin there are different application papers possibilities.

In 2011 the migration policy changed. Called modern migration policy. One of the points is that the IND only will work together with so called sponsors and authorized sponsors. The visa procedure for a student will now be handled completely by the university itself. If they belongs to an authorized sponsor, they only have to collect all the necessary papers from the student and sent the IND an signed letter. The IND will normally make an decision about the application within two weeks.

Although a lot is changed, you still can see via the wizard, which documents your university will need

To sum up the point which are found in the IND:

  • A valid passport
  • health insurance with cover in the Netherlands (the university will assist you to get a student insurrance in the Netherlands)
  • signing of a declaration of awareness
  • You must not constitute a risk to public order
  • You must be prepared to undergo an examination for tuberculosis
  • You must have sufficient funds ( this amount varies every half year but till 2011 it is 652.62 a month. The university will ask you an amount of money to donate to the account of the university.


After you arrive you will get an personal account at an bank in the Netherlands. The university shall donate your initial amount minus the costs for the university to your bank account ).

As the universities have to be a authorized sponsor the rest of the points are self fulfilling

Importance of the Code of Conduct

Only institutions that signed the code, may recruit international students. By signing the Code of Conduct the institution gives students the assurance
that they are properly recruited, selected and supervised. The IND simplified the rules of admission to these institutions.

The Dutch government give exclusive rights to institutions that subscribe to the code. Only these institutions may enroll students who receive a scholarship from the Huygens Scholarship Program (for excellent scholarship program to attract students).

Institutions can also use the relay services by Dutch higher education abroad (NESOs) offer. The Ministry of Justice changed the rules for admitting foreign students. The IND accelerates and simplified the admission of students who study at an institution that followed has signed the code. By providing proper safeguards, the IND does not need to seek more detailed information about settings.

Asian students who were mis-informed in their country about the level of college education. Foreign students taught by teachers who lack the English language. Students for whom no accommodation is provided, although this is promised. Some examples that were injurious to the reputation of Dutch higher education abroad. An institution that signed the code of conduct ensures that these examples will not happen to their students.

An institution shall provide reliable and accessible information about the training, time and status. Furthermore, it adheres to criteria such as admission requirements, good guidance and the required language level for the training of students.

A national committee monitors compliance with the code. The Information Management Group will manage the register of the code and
maintain. This register lists all institutions that have signed the code. The registry can be found at at internationalstudy

the code of conduct

Delft has the following four universities who signed the code of conduct:

  • Delft University of Technology
  • UNESCO-IHE Institute for Water Education
  • The Hague University of Applied Sciences, Haagse Hogeschool
  •  INHOLLAND University of Applied Sciences.